Friday, May 15, 2009

Three baby apple trees...

We have our apple trees!
Thanks to Steve at Cummins Nursery, we were able to get three 1-year-old dwarf "whips" that we just put in the ground. It will take 2-3 years for them to fruit, but now is the time to start training them. We have Honeycrisp, Elstar, and Zestar apple trees to work with. For anyone loooking to espalier apple trees in their small spaces, I highly recommend Cummins Nursery- they responded to my email right away, walked me through what I needed on the phone, and then shipped the trees within a week. They are able to accommodate small orders like this and were so reasonable!
And they really know their apples. I may get one more... We'll see how these 3 work. They only grow 6-8 feet tall and can be spaced pretty close together, so there may be room for one more tree. They are all starting to bud!

No comments: