Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another garden thing

I have a new garden thing. I mean, another thing I want to add to the garden this year. Espalier apple trees. Yes, I had to look it up to see how to pronounce it (es-pah-lee-ay, in case you're wondering) That's basically a fancy way to say: train baby apple trees to grow in two dimensions in a very small space, say along the wall of our garage. You still get lots of good fruit, but it doesn't take up the space of a tree! (How to do it here.)

When I asked Sean about it, he asked, appropriately, "Are you really sure you want to take another thing on in the garden this year?"
To which I replied, "No. But If we don't do it this year, it'll be a whole 'nother year before we have apples!!"

Apparently, you must get apple trees that are only a year or two old (know as "whips"). They have to be young, so you can begin to train them onto the wires in two dimensions. In about three years, you have apples on them!

Which means... yes. I am going to be doing another garden thing.

No comments: