Thursday, April 24, 2008

Future Bounty Harvest!

This is my first attempt at starting seeds indoors. So far, so good! I picked up 3 trays of "Jiffy" seed starting trays last weekend at Home Depot, and I had sprouting seedlings within 2 days.

I used Burpee fiber pots for one tray and peat pellets to the others (just for variety to see what works best). The beauty of both of these is that you can plant the entire thing into the ground (you don't have to dig the plant out to disturb the roots). The fiber pots naturally decay and then provide some fertilizer. In the first pic, I have the fiber pots, from right to left: Orange trumpet vines, alyssum, red zinnias, broccoli, cilanto, and basil. I'm not sure if you are supposed to mix flowers and vegetables (I suspect that you are NOT because of different germination times, but since I felt like I was getting a late start on the indoor sowing, I did.) Any advice on this anyone?

In the peat pellets, I have (R-L) More alyssum, and zinnias, dahlias, lavender, cucumbers, more basil, and more trumpet vines. In two other pots (not pictured) I have some corn, sunflowers, sweet peppers, and dill. I figure I have about 100 seedlings, which, if purchased at a greenhouse would be somewhere around $300. I got seeds and trays for a little over $50. They are sitting on the radiator and large west-facing windowsill in the dining room, enjoying a ton of sun and heat. They are so much fun to watch!



No comments: