Wednesday, January 17, 2007

5 Things You Never Knew...

I've been "tagged" by Andrea at Litterbox House. (Thanks for thinking of me! :) I didn't realize this, but "tag" is a blog game where you have to reveal 5 things about yourself that other people probably don't know. I feel like I blab about nearly everything here, but I'll try to think of some new material for ya'll. (note: this is "5 Things You Never Knew About Nadja"- Sean would have to write his own...)

1) I've never driven anything other than a stickshift (manual transmission). And I actually have a hard time driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission. I nearly put my left foot through the floor trying to find the clutch that isn't there. And when I'm stopped, I forget that if I don't keep a firm foot on the break, the car creeps forward. ("Hey, why are we moving? Oh! Wait! DOH!")

2) The only place I have been overseas is Sweden. (I feel WAAAAY undertraveled after reading some of the other "tags"!). After college, I had a roommate from Sweden. It was one of those things where I posted an ad on the internet, she answered it, and we ended up becoming great friends while living together. When she went back to Sweden, I went to visit for three weeks- one of the best vacations I've ever had. I felt like a guest- not a tourist... Her 4 year old nephew taught me Swedish, we borrowed a car and drove for 10 hours down the coast, we stayed up all nite and the sun never set... it's a beautiful country- I highly recommend it. Perth, Australia and Tuscany- Italy are on my "places I need to go before I die" list.

3) I'm addicted to "Friends" re-runs. Ok, I was addicted to the show when it was on. Now I can watch several hours of re-runs in one sitting, without even realizing a few hours has gone by. In my defense, I am often multi-tasking when they are on.... painting the dining room ceiling, staining trim, cooking stew, cleaning house...

4) I'm pretty political, and I'm a complete news junkie. I like a newspaper, or two, or three every morning. And a jolt of news on TV when I get home. You can find me reading political blogs, doing midnite madness literature drops on the eve of election days, attending lobby days and rallies at the state capitol. But I'm fairly quiet about my opinions on political things unless you say something to really piss me off. :)

5) I want to write a book about my grandparent's lives someday. I don't know whether you would call this a memoir (since it's about someone else?) or just a type of creative nonfiction... but their story is one of the most incredible I've ever heard. While fleeing the Ukraine, they were captured by the German army and worked in German labor camps in captivity until Germany was liberated. They came to the US in the early 50's as displaced persons, and they built a life for themselves and their two kids (my mom and uncle) from virtually nothing. Amazing people...

So, now I tag five other people...
Add to the game when you get a chance.... Adventures in Domesticity, Old Minneapolis House, Emery Restoration, M and C Build a House, and Detroit Woodbridge Duplex

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm loving these "5 things" posts! And I'd love to hear more about your grandparents story.

Craig & Ellen said...

Dagnabbit! I was going to tag YOU. Congrats on the engagement, by the way!

Anyway, I answered...

http://ellenjane.typepad.com/adventures_in_domesticity/ (new URL)