Friday, September 08, 2006

The Painted Radiator

It's Friday and thought it's been a short AT-work week, it's been a long at-home week. We are trying to close the books on some outstanding projects out there. So, today I post a finished project: The Master Bedroom radiator!!
I read a few posts about elaborate things some folks are doing to strip and paint radiators... I was a lazy schmuck and spray-painted the thing.
I donned a respirator that is good for all manner of toxic substances, including asbestos and lead-based paint (not the flimsy N-95 ones, but the "Talk-like-Darth-Vader" kind), and scraped all the chipping and peeling paint. Toothbrushes and wire paint cleaning brushes work wonders!!
Then, after we disposed of the chips and dust, I went to town with the spray paint. I taped newspaper all around it, including around the feet on the floor. With two coats, any remaining lead paint was sealed up again.
And this way, I didn't have to unhook it or haul it anywhere to be stripped.

This is the second one I have done this way, and both turned out really well. I used a brass hammered-metallic finish on the first one, and it hides imperfections (ie imperfect scraping jobs) on the radiator well.
Voila! Project complete!
Here's the Before-and-After!

No comments: